Friday, July 6, 2012

Always a silver lining

Last week was a doozie of a week!  The week prior I was feeling overwhelmed with everything that was "breaking" around the house!  So much money going out the wallet right now!  I guess that's what a savings is for even though I hate using it!!  So, silver lining... My laptop was able to be "fixed" by buying an inexpensive monitor and hooking that up.  Thankfully the guts part of it was okay so I am able to get all of my stuff off the old one, have this one here for the kids to use when they want to play games and do homework, and shop around for what I want in a new laptop rather than making a quick decision!  2nd... my glasses broke.  Ugh!  I love my glasses and hate spending $400 on a new pair!!  BUT, I went today and I'm so glad I did.  I'm one of those who doesn't go to the eye doctor unless I need glasses or contacts.  Could go years without going!  I've had a freckle on the back of my eye since I was a kid.  My new eye doctor let me know that we NEED to keep an eye on that every year so if it grows we can make sure it isn't Melanoma.  He obviously doesn't know how big it was before but said it's definitely more than just a freckle.  Silver Lining!  Defiantly made me see I need to more cautious about wearing sunglasses so it doesn't turn into something that could make me lose my eyesight AND I will for sure be going every year to monitor this!  New tires for my SUV, Randy's bike (this is his FAVORITE time of year to ride... when it is 90-100* outside.  Yes I know, he is crazy), the list could go on. 

So last Friday as I was doing the handprint projects the lights were flickering and I thought the bulbs were going dead.  (back up a day before... I almost put on my FB status that if I didn't know better I'd say it was going to rain because my shoulder was aching so bad... it always does this with any major storm or weather change since I ran myself over with the 4 wheeler when I was a kid.  Yes you read that right.  I am talented.)  I asked Kaid if it was getting ready to storm and went to look out the window.  As soon as I did the lights flashed a few times then off for good and we ran for cover.  Nasty nasty storm!! 

Things I learned in this 26 hours...
1. While I love our walk out basement and windows down there... It's kinda freaky during a storm!!
2. Always ALWAYS have baby wipes on hand... it may be your only shower for a while!
3. Kids can live on PB&J for a while and be just fine.
4. When flushing a toilet (when you have a well and they don't work) pour water in the back tank not the bowl.  :)  Pouring it in the bowl just wastes the precious stuff!
5. What would we do without our parents and their generators!!  Thank you mom and dad for letting us borrow yours and thank you Paul and Lu for bringing it to us!!!  Life savers!!  Especially when we were told we would be out for 2-5 days that was soon extended to 5-7!!
6. Our neighborhood has a great "unofficial" block watch.  If you are trying to scope out a neighborhood to see what you can steal... pick a different neighborhood.  We are watching and will get you!
6.  Driving to the police station without glasses (remember they broke!!) to make sure they got the suspicious vehicle report, you may not be able to get a good look at predator #2 AKA the scout trying to hitch hike on the side of the road!!  (after my hubby scared of #1 by driving down to see what he was up to... took off without his buddy speeding down the road with no lights on!!)
7. Some people try to take advantage of a power outage so always be alert for those up to no good!
8. We've got some amazing neighbors!!  Thanks for the help catching the bad guys and for a refreshing shower!!
9.  I have no desire to be Amish.
10.  I am very thankful for cell phones.  It was my only concept of time!
11.  When my shoulder starts aching, listen and go fill up the tubs!!
and #12 the silver lining... we are oh so grateful that we didn't lose any food, no damage to our home or us and our power came on at around 26 hours later!!  Many in our town and surrounding towns have been out for 7 days!!!  It could have been much worse!  I now know what I need to have on hand in case (or WHEN) this happens again!!

The only damage at our home...
I can't believe that this didn't tumble over!!!


Lots of limbs and branches down from trees around the house... 

But this guy was the only casualty.  Surprising because it was such a healthy young tree...



Kason says, "It's oh-tay, I tan fix it"

I'm still watching for roof leaking... there were many spots that the shingles were blown up, but I haven't seen any spots that it was blown off...



I think some how the storm was able to make it into the playroom... 

Out talking to the neighbors about the electric situation and Mr bubs found a friend. 

Kaid was not as crazy about this little fella as Kason was...  Poor girl being tortured and yes we did retire this outfit after she picked it out to wear this day!!


10pm and trying to figure things out... poor bubby is tired and poor Kaid looks annoyed.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment