Saturday, September 22, 2012

Ever have "one of those days"

I do believe we've had our share for a very long time.  Seriously.  Can't even express how every part of our lives just seem... "unsettled."  Surely this thing called life has got to get easier eventually, right?  Trust me, I'm saving you and me from all the details... "I need a little less hard times, I need a little more bliss..."  Totally get this line to this great song.
 
 
Oh... so just a little tid-bit about one of those days for us.  By the grace of God it turned out much better than it could have! 
This Sunday as we were getting ready to leave the house for church I went to hop in the passenger side of my Enclave.  Hmmm Randy, this orange liquid laying beside my car can't be good?  (did I mention that I also need new tires... ugh, been dreading that one too!)
 
Nope, wasn't good.  So Monday, (thankfully) I was downstaffed so we found a place to take it.  We wouldn't have it back until Tuesday evening so I would have to find a way to get to work and back if I wasn't downstaffed again.  Downstaffed.  Then called in at noon.  Randy drove me and dropped me off then I was going to hitch a ride home from a friend from work who lives nearby.  No Problem.
 
At about 12:40 I got a call from the school nurse.  Kaid's friend had tried to pick her up on the playground and she fell back and hit her head on the blacktop, but everything was fine.  She was just letting me know.  So, I went back to my nursing duties.  About 20 minutes later I got another call.  The nurse was concerned because she was now getting drowsy and she was getting a good bump on her head.  So we hung up, I called Randy to go get her from school and made an appointment at the Ped for 3:30.  Randy rushed to get her (oh and got pulled over by an undercover cop as he was going 70 through town.  Oops. He let him go when he heard what was going on but with a stern "you still can't drive that fast!")
 
The nurse gave Randy the instructions on what to watch for and as they were walking out the door she started puking, her nose started bleeding and they called 911.
Off to Children's she went in the squad. While I was stuck at work with no car for the 1st time ever.
Go figure.
 
The site no daddy (or mommy) wants to follow knowing your baby is inside!
 
 
 
I am so blessed to have the amazing co-workers I have.  Within seconds of hearing what was going on everyone in ear shot was offering me their car to take.  My charge nurse was arranging for others to take my new patient I was about to get.  And my care manager came out to drive me there so I wouldn't have to worry about returning a car.  These girls are amazing.  They are like family.
 
Once I got to the ER and saw her I knew all was okay.  I'm so glad the school was super cautious and didn't take any chances. 
 
We joked that maybe if I hadn't done her hair in a side ponytail but rather a normal one it would have blocked the bang!
 
 
She was freezing cold when I walked in so I warmed her up with my work jacket.  I asked if she was scared riding in the ambulance all by herself and she said, "no, it was just really cold and they had me on this really hard bed.  It was so uncomfortable!"  :) 
 
So, a few hours later and no more symptoms and we were sent home with a girl with a "mild concussion" and orders for light activity and no playground or gym play for a week.  So very thankful things were not any worse.  A few canceled plans and lots of rest and she's feeling much better.  She did finally tell me on Friday that "mommy, I can finally run without my head hurting!"  Um dear, why were you running?  How do you keep a 7 year old from doing these things (especially when you are not around to monitor!)!?
 
Another silver lining moment was hearing my cars water pump was bad and the entire thing had to be replaced but THANK GOD was under warranty that would expire in May 2013.  That was a near $1,000 save.  Thank you God!
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment